McKenzie has been bothered by a knee injury off and on for 3-4 weeks. (But to my defense she never missed gymnastics and she was doing round off back handsprings on it last Wednesday. With all that how bad can it be I thought? Yep, Wrong again!) So I took her to the doctor last week and the doctor said she had dislocated her knee. Yes, I know I deserve the worst Mom award! The Doctor said it is a very common injury and that it isn't dislocated right now, that it probably slid out and then popped back in! My poor daughter. The tendons & muscles that are on either side of your kneecap are loose and any time she twists her knee or it slides out a little the tendons inflame and that is what was causing the off and on pain. Great! She is out of Gym for 2 weeks and wears this cool brace every day and does quad strengthening exercises. Yes now I am a physical therapy trainer also. She will hopefully be better in a couple of weeks. What a week! Good thing we have good insurance, I think we have met our quota for at least 5 or 6 years!
Monday, October 27, 2008
My kids need to come with a "WARNING: ACCIDENT PRONE" sign
Well remember the great time we had at the corn maze, well it resulted in Corbyn having a concussion! She was getting off the pedal carts and was, of course, running to meet us and ran smack into a metal piece sticking out of a wood post. It was just above her eye level so she didn't see it coming. She cried for a minute but was then up and going. I looked at her head and there was just a little red line where she hit. She wasn't complaining so I thought she was fine...Wrong! In the next 24 hours it swelled to the size of a large egg and turned various shades of purple and green. We checked her for signs of a concussion off and on the next 24 hours and she didn't seem to have one. (Thanks to Calvin's skull fracture we felt like we knew what to look for...wrong again!) Well Friday she complained of a headache at school and so I told her I would make a doctors appointment. By Sunday the swelling was almost gone, but there is this nickle size hard spot in the middle of her bruise. Corbyn and Calvin both have these very large blood vessels that run straight down in the middle of her forehead so I started to worry she had a blood clot. Well we took her to the doctor today and sure enough she has a concusion and a blod clot. The blood is trapped in the tissue so it can't travel through her system but if it doesn't reabsorb in 3 months she will have to get it taken out. Lovely! She can't play at recess, PE, gymnastics or ride her bike for 2 weeks, so she is a little sad. But hopefully with the help of occasional Tylenol she will not have all the headaches.


McKenzie has been bothered by a knee injury off and on for 3-4 weeks. (But to my defense she never missed gymnastics and she was doing round off back handsprings on it last Wednesday. With all that how bad can it be I thought? Yep, Wrong again!) So I took her to the doctor last week and the doctor said she had dislocated her knee. Yes, I know I deserve the worst Mom award! The Doctor said it is a very common injury and that it isn't dislocated right now, that it probably slid out and then popped back in! My poor daughter. The tendons & muscles that are on either side of your kneecap are loose and any time she twists her knee or it slides out a little the tendons inflame and that is what was causing the off and on pain. Great! She is out of Gym for 2 weeks and wears this cool brace every day and does quad strengthening exercises. Yes now I am a physical therapy trainer also. She will hopefully be better in a couple of weeks. What a week! Good thing we have good insurance, I think we have met our quota for at least 5 or 6 years!

McKenzie has been bothered by a knee injury off and on for 3-4 weeks. (But to my defense she never missed gymnastics and she was doing round off back handsprings on it last Wednesday. With all that how bad can it be I thought? Yep, Wrong again!) So I took her to the doctor last week and the doctor said she had dislocated her knee. Yes, I know I deserve the worst Mom award! The Doctor said it is a very common injury and that it isn't dislocated right now, that it probably slid out and then popped back in! My poor daughter. The tendons & muscles that are on either side of your kneecap are loose and any time she twists her knee or it slides out a little the tendons inflame and that is what was causing the off and on pain. Great! She is out of Gym for 2 weeks and wears this cool brace every day and does quad strengthening exercises. Yes now I am a physical therapy trainer also. She will hopefully be better in a couple of weeks. What a week! Good thing we have good insurance, I think we have met our quota for at least 5 or 6 years!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Ouch! It hurts to hang with you and your family. Tell the girls I hope they fill better soon.
Oh my goodness. You just can't catch a break, can you? Eric should have gone to med school!:) Hope they all recover without surgery!
Don't feel bad Amy. I have heard of that happening so many times where a kid had Pneumonia, broken bone, etc and the parents were oblivious. Kids can hide things really well sometimes. Your a great mom!
oh man! don't feel too bad, my mom told my sister just to move her arm around and turns out it was broken!
Ooh, that's scary about Corbyn. I'm glad she's okay and that you caught it! We'll keep our fingers crossed that it gets reabsorbed.
Oh man Amy, I'd day you've had your fair share of head injurie this year. Your girls are both beautiful with or without injury.
Blood clots? Knee injuries? Let's hope for a accident free 2009 for your fam!
Post a Comment